Image Map

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fabulous Fall: Themed Word Art

Sad: Today is the last day of Fabulous Fall. Happy: Today we have Shannon from Life with these 3 Kids sharing with us about themed word art! And it sounds like something you could do quickly...like, before a kid wakes up from a nap! That's my kind of craft.
Take it away, Shannon!

 **********
Hi! My name is Shannon, and I am a Mama who loves to craft! I have a poor, neglected blog over at Life with these 3 Kids.  I am hoping that maybe posting for Kathryn will help me get my groove back! If only I could blog from my phone...(anyone know a good app for that?). Ha!

When Kathryn asked me to guest post I was flattered beyond all reason! And then I was freaked out! I mean, sure I can re-create with the best of them, but to actually make something on my own, without seeing it on Pinterest/blogs/magazines/TV? Not always the easiest thing! When I craft I like things quick and simple. Being a Mama sometimes it's hard to find time to do anything super involved, unless I do it when the kids are in bed, and sometimes I just don't want to sacrifice my sleep (or my veg-on-the-couch-and-watch-my-junk time)!

The other day I got the bright idea to organize my craft supplies (seriously, what was I thinking??). As I was going through my embarrassing stash of paper crafting supplies inspiration hit! So many of us have paper crafting things left over from the days before a cricut or silhouette could cut out any letter or shape we need at the touch of a button. And while I use them occasionally, my piles of cute paper, adorable stickers and fun embellishments are mostly just gathering dust. Enter an easy way to make themed word art. Create a pictureless scrapbook page and stick it in a frame. Voila! An easy, cute craft that I could finish before the next child needed fed/changed/kissed/etc. I love decorating for fall, and I love any excuse to remind my kids the reason we celebrate Thanksgiving. It's not just turkey and football! It's so much more. So I gathered up some cute fall paper, dug through my stack of alphabet stickers and chipboard and started thinking.
Using an empty IKEA frame I had stashed away, I mixed and matched and tried different paper/sticker combos till I got it just how I wanted it! To make aligning easier, I taped my paper of choice to the back of the mat and then stuck the stickers onto the paper. This helped me get the words just how I wanted with relation to the frame and mat. I love the way it turned out. Simple and to the point. Of course, now I want to make a million more, and when I have more time I want to get more creative with it. Layering papers, adding embellishments, getting those creative juices flowing again. I hope you can take this simple idea and really run with it to make it your own!
Here is another similar example that I have in my home. I found the gaudiest picture frame at a garage sale and spray painted it white. I covered the existing mat in one of my favorite fabrics, put in some white card stock, added my word of choice and I have a simple, one of a kind piece of art for my craft room.
I hope I have inspired you a bit to use up some of your scrapbook supplies, and to create a fun piece of art for your home! Thanks again Kathryn for inviting me to share here on your adorable blog! ______________________________________________________________________________________________ Check out Shannon's etsy shop: www.bitsorbobbins.etsy.com

Thanks Shannon for a nifty idea on how to use up all those leftover scraps of paper. Such a cute idea! 
And I'd like to thank allll of the guest bloggers this week who participated! It was seriously so much fun!


Miss a guest post from Fabulous Fall? Find them all here:

Thanks for dropping in!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!!